Blueberries are something that I started buying thanks to blogging. And it has got me hooked to it for sure. I have been noticing that they are available in the market and that too at a very good price, so each time I go grocery shopping, I pick up a couple of packs. A little goes straight into my mouth, some into smoothies and some into recipes like this one! 🙂
In one of the weekend magazines that comes with a local newspaper, they had a group of recipes called “Old Style Desserts”. There were some lovely retro style pudding recipes with equally tempting pics but my eyes fell on this dessert that I had to make due to two reasons – CHOCOLATE and then I had blueberries in my fridge. I quickly got making it and I must say that initially, I was a bit distraught as it looked nowhere near how it looked in the magazine! You can see it for yourself in the picture down… I kept reading and re-reading the instructions and made sure I was doing it correct. So I had a nice chocolaty pudding getting ready to set and I was literally nervous thinking how this would turn out.
My only concern was the raw eggs that went into the pudding. No wonder it was called “old fashioned”. 🙂 Nowadays, we are so scared about all the salmonella and what not that having raw eggs is a big no-no. Still I went ahead and made them and I was surprised that there was absolutely no eggy taste in the pudding. Not only that, since it was a small portion, we all enjoyed it in moderation over the afternoon. If you really don’t mind the raw eggs and love chocolate, then this is a must try since the slight tartness of the blueberries went so well with the sweetness of the chocolate!
Chocolate Blueberry Pudding
- 1 tbsp gelatin
- 2 tbsp water
- 100 gm dark chocolate
- 25 ml oil
- 2 eggs separated
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 75 gm blueberries
- Mix the gelatin into the water and set aside.
- Melt the chocolate and oil till done. Cool slightly.
- Beat the egg yolks lightly. Pour in the chocolate mixture and keep beating till well incorporated.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg whites till stiff. Add in the sugar and beat till glossy.
- Microwave the gelatin water for 30 seconds. Fold in the egg white and gelatin into the beaten chocolate mixture. Fold in the blueberries.
- Pour into a mould and allow to set in the fridge overnight.
- Keep out for a few minutes before unmoulding and serving!