Sometimes, I go through a few of my old posts. The ups and downs I went through, the feeling of loss and dejection I went through… but Alhamdulillah, Allah has been so kind, that He showed me a lot of signs, bought in a few people into my life as soon as He took away, and made me realise that life is a test of patience, a real test of whether we are His true servants or not. This verse always hits the right code whenever I read it. It just shows how loving and merciful the Lord is. In many places in the Qur’an, He has clearly said that He guides whom He will. Only if we are able to believe and trust in His Qadr can we feel the sense of patience and calm. I don’t know if I have shared this video on the blog before, but this one made me cry when I thought my world had collapsed. Such a beautiful explanation of Surah Ad-Duha by Shk Towfique Chowdhury made me wonder why was I being desperate about a life that I have no control over. It made me change a lot of thoughts and put quite a bit of things into perspective. Now when I think of it, I see how much of every little thing that happened has contributed to someway or the other making me a better person than I was yesterday, and I sincerely hope that I have His Guidance till the end is reached…
Going off my heavy talk… I love breakfast cereals as they are the easiest way to have breakfast. Right? But that doesn’t mean that we keep having them, thanks to the high levels of sugar. Jehanne was the one who got me introduced to granola. I bought a small pack and tried it at home but frankly speaking, didn’t like it much. It was then she said that it could be easily made at home with rolled oats. And what she said was right! Easy and delicious, just customized the way you want! After referring to a few good recipes, I make it this way now, as sweet as I like it. I kept it plain so that I could customize the granola each time I use it for my breakfast or snacking. You can add it into milk with some fruits, dried fruits, chopped nuts and what not! Or simply mix it with yogurt for a filling snack. Off to the way it is made…
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 2 heaped tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 50 gm melted butter
- ⅓ cup honey
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees.
- Combine the oats, sugar, cinnamon powder and salt in a bowl. In a smaller bowl, combine the melted butter, honey and vanilla essence well.
- Pour into the dry ingredients. Using a spatula, mix well till all the rolled oats is covered.
- Spread this mixture on a large baking tray, as thinly as possible.
- Bake for a total of 60 minutes.
- After every 20 minutes, take out the pan, give it a nice mix inside out, put it back into the oven for another 20 minutes. In between the baking, you will stir the mixture for two times.
- Take out the pan and stir the granola till it cools down to room temperature.
- Cool completely before storing into a clean air tight container.
- Use within 2 weeks.
- You can replace the butter with oil, but I would prefer butter because it gives it a nice flavor and smell.