You never realise how versatile vegetables can be in baking till you use it. My first tryst with beetroot were in these eggless red velvet cupcakes and after that I had tried this particular cake while taking them for my cousins. That time, I ran out of cocoa powder so my cake looked more reddish than brownish. I left them with a trivia and they were not able to guess what went into that cake, till I told them that it had beetroot. Beetroot puree lends such a lovely moistness to this cake and enhances the flavor of the chocolate, giving it a nice deep color. Even the kids enjoyed it very much since there is no feeling of having a vegetable into your cake!
Mix and Bake Chocolate Beetroot Cake
- 175 gm beetroot cooked and pureed
- 200 gm plain flour
- 100 gm cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 225 gm sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 200 ml sunflower oil
- 100 gm chocolate chunks/ chips
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease and flour a large loaf pan and set aside.
- Add all the ingredients, one after the other in a bowl except the chunks and mix with a whisk till well combined.
- Finally add the chunks and give a final mix. The batter will be glossy and thick.
- Pour into the prepared pan and tap to flatten the top.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or till the skewer comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, flip onto the cooling rack and cool completely before slicing and devouring!