Season of flu is here! As much as I love the winters, I dread the illness which comes with it. Alhamdullillah, so far, I have never had any drastic issues as such at home and I sincerely hope it continues the same way, InShaAllah. “Kanji” or gruel is a dish made very frequently if you have illness loitering in the house. It is calm on the tummy, digests very fast and keeps your system clean.
Mostly we make it with broken rice, and I have already shared this version previously. But at home,umma makes kanji with broken wheat as she is diabetic. The kids are so used to it that they love this version more than the original one. For umma, it’s an easy dinner, when she gets bored of eating chapathis. I was never fond of this earlier, but now I have gone to liking it, thanks to the kids! A big dollop of my mattamma’s garlic pickle is all I need for a hearty lunch or dinner. Off ot the recipe…
Gothambu Kanji ~ Broken Wheat Gruel/ Konji
- 1/3 cup broken wheat washed and drained
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup grated coconut blended in 2/3 cup water and milk extracted
- Salt to taste
- Combine the wheat and water in a pressure cooker and cook for 5-6 whistles on meduim heat.
- Switch off and allow the pressure to go by itself.
- Open the lid, add in the coconut milk extracted and salt and mix well. Simmer.
- Serve hot with pickle or paapad.