A rich and deliciously buttery egg curry for your rice or chapathis…
I am letting off a sigh of relief that I finally have all posts ready for this week’s Blogging Marathon #131 theme of “All Buttered Up”. After doing the Garlic bread, I was so lost as to what to make, and I wanted it to be a curry or a main dish. My first thought was to make a butter roasted chicken, and I did make it. It wasn’t disappointing, in fact it was delicious, but the butter floating around the chicken was a serious let-off and I couldn’t get myself to post it here. Maybe I will make it again with lesser butter and hopefully then it will make to the blog. Till then, let us welcome what finally becomes the dish for today… 😀
Try opening Google and search “savory with butter” and the first and majority that pops up is butter chicken. I already have a recipe on the blog which is the way I cook all the time, and somehow I didn’t want to another style of this dish, at least not now. Hehe… That is when I ran into making an egg curry almost with the similar sauce. I haven’t had an egg curry on the blog since ages so this was the time! Rasha wouldn’t eat eggs because of her imaginary allergy and Azza doesn’t like them boiled, so egg curry is never on my agenda. But I knew that the sauce would be something that the girls would like if me and HD ate up those eggs. 😉 Yes, it is a tough call for me most of the time… So the dish does have a decent amount of butter going into it, but doesn’t taste that heavy, mainly because cashews are used to make the sauce creamier and it is not as heavy as cream can make you. The masala is delicious on its own, I must say. I enjoyed moping it up with some bread over dinner and over next day for breakfast. Off to this simple recipe…
Egg Butter Masala | Egg Makhani
- 4 eggs boiled and shelled
- 4 tbsp butter roughly 50 gm, divided
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2-3 green chillies
- 10-15 cashew nuts soaked in hot water for 15 minutes
- 2 cloves
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 3/4 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 tsp kasuri methi
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- In a saucepan, heat one tbsp of butter, add the onion, tomato, ginger garlic paste and green chillies along with some salt and cook till wilted and saucy, for around 10 minutes. Allow it to cool.
- Grind the above along with the soaked cashews with some water till a smooth paste.
- Peel the boiled eggs and draw slits on it.
- Melt the rest of the butter in the saucepan and roughly fry the eggs till just golden. Drain and set aside.
- Fry the cloves into the butter. Add the sauce along with turmeric and chilli powder and cook, stirring occasionally till the butter floats on top. Add little water if you feel the sauce is sticking to the pan.
- Add the eggs and toss well. Cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add the kasuri methi, crushed and garam masala and give a final toss.
- Serve with bread of your choice.