Off to the recipe for the day, I dedicate this cake to dear Sona who loves the combination of dark chocolate and orange! Hehe… I saw this cake being baked by Chef Sanjeev Kapoor on his programme in Food Food. In a hurry, I mentioned down the quantities but I was not fully confident. I tried searching for the recipe online but each dark chocolate orange cake had different quantities from mine, though all were his recipes! Finally I decided to try out as per what I had scribbled down, the only addition being is the orange glaze I gave it on the top. What a cake this one was! We finished off half immediately and the other half I wrapped with cling film and froze it for two weeks. And then used it up for a trip. Actually the cake has a very mild orange flavor, but the glaze makes it even more orangy so don’t miss that part! 🙂
Dark Chocolate Orange Cake with Orange Glaze
- 100 gm butter
- 175 gm dark chocolate
- 3 large eggs
- 1 medium orange
- 125 gm sugar
- 175 gm wholewheat flour aatta
- 100 gm all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 150 ml yogurt
- For orange glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp orange zest
- 4 tbsp orange juice fresh
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease an 8 inch pan well, sprinkle with cocoa powder.
- Cut the orange into half. Squeeze out all the juice that you can. Grate the orange zest till you get one tbsp zest. Keep aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Melt the butter and chocolate on low flame. Allow to cool slightly.
- Break in one egg at a time and whisk well after each addition.
- Add in the sugar and whisk till dissolved. Add in the orange juice and zest and mix well. Whisk in the yogurt.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold well till combined. The batter will be thick. Pour into the pan and flatten the top.
- Bake for 40 minutes or till skewer comes out clean when tested in the center.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes. You will see the sides closing in. Slowly, tip onto a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- For the glace, mix all the ingredients together into a thick liquid. Pour into the center of the cake, allowing it to fall to all sides. Allow to cool and set.
- Slice and serve!