A viral TikTok recipe of a delicious custard filled toast…
As much as I am not fond of doing things at the last minute, these days the frequency of it has increased quite a bit. I am somebody who likes to get things done as early as possible and be ready before hand, but I guess the old saying of “time and tide waits for none” seems to be even more probable now. How much ever I plan, things just don’t seem to go its way. I try my level best not to feel disappointed, because we as human beings are not in control of a huge majority of our life. We can only plan but Allah is the Best Planner, so He calls Himself in Surah Aal-Imran: 54. I am trying to not panic when things don’t get done and go with the flow. It is a long lesson indeed, yet I am trying, Alhamdulillah… 🙂
You must be wondering why this big lecture before beginning the post. I am doing the second post for this week’s Blogging Marathon #146 theme of “Trending Recipes”. Just like the tortilla wrap, my mind fluctuated between many easy recipes that I came across online. But this toast tugged my heart and I had to try it. The only thing is that I made it on Wednesday for breakfast, clicked it, ate it and still struggled to finish off the post. 😉
I used Luisine brioche bread for this recipe. I love it while making French Toast – it gives a totally different vibe altogether. Since the bread is thick, it is easier for it to hold on some amount of liquid. But if you use regular bread, try using two slices together stuck together with a little water or maybe indenting it and pouring very little liquid so as to not soak. The custard used in this is very interesting – Greek yogurt, egg and a little sugar. If you don’t have Greek yogurt, of course you can use regular yogurt, but do make sure to remove some of the whey before using it. I was really wondering how it would taste. Once it baked and I had a bite, it was really mind-blowing. It somehow reminded me of the baked yogurt dessert on the bread.
Topping are totally your choice. As you can see, I used chocolate chips and almond slices on one, and blueberries on the other. I loved both the toppings, please don’t ask me to choose. Hehe… The quantity of custard made was perfect for the two loaves of brioche use. You can airfry the recipe at 180 degrees for around 8-10 minutes till the custard settles and the bread is crunchy. Just make sure that the custard is set. My oven takes a little longer time than usual, so I baked for almost 20 minutes, though 15 minutes should be more than a good enough time. Make this as a lazy weekend breakfast and enjoy!
Custard Yogurt Toast
- 2 brioche bread slices refer notes
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt or really thick yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla or flavoring of choice
- Toppings of choice I used blueberries, chocolate chips and sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Line a baking tray with parchment.
- Place the bread slices on the tray. Using fingers dipped in water, create an indent into the bread without making any holes, just enough to hold the custard filling.
- In a bowl, whisk together the yogurt, egg, honey and vanilla till well combined.
- Divide them equally onto both the slices.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or even more dependent on the oven heat, till the bread looks toasted and the custard is set.
- Enjoy warm as is or with an extra dousing of icing sugar, whipped cream and fruits.