After the Mango Coconut Milk Pudding, here is the second one for the “Are you Pudding Me?” theme for Blogging Marathon #74. This easy yet delicious Chocolate Croissant Pudding is quite like a bread pudding but with croissant in it.
If you have school going children who are picky about their boxes, then I am sure one of your grocery purchases is a box of croissants. I buy a box at least once a week so that the box for one of the days is sorted out. Sometimes I end up picking up from a different store and the kids just don’t touch it. This recipe is a savior when your croissants threaten to go stale. 😉 What more, the base is a chocolate custard, with even more chocolate chips sprinkled, so it is a totally chocolate treat. A bread pudding is best had warm, so that is the same case with this one too… We had this over a lazy weekend lunch and it was a very homely dessert… Off to the recipe…
- 6 mini croissants, stale
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Chocolate chips for sprinkling
- Combine ingredients from milk to cocoa powder in a saucepan. Cook on low flame till warm and smooth, do not boil.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg till foamy and keep aside.
- Take the mixture off the flame, slowly pour the egg into it, while continuously whisking till fully incorporated. Make sure to whisk well so that the egg doesn't curdle.
- Keep back on the flame and cook till the custard thickens and becomes glossy.
- In a baking tray, smear butter or cooking oil. Line the croissants. Poke the croissants lightly with a fork.
- Pour the custard all over and press the croissants in lightly. Allow it to sit for 15 minutes to soak up.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Sprinkle the chocolate chips at the top. Bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
- Serve warm.