It has been my wish to recreate the simple restaurant style sweet corn soup at home. There are so many recipes on the net but this one that I found was the real Chinese one, which tasted so much like what gets served at Chinese joints here. I was mighty pleased I tried it and there was nothing left, it was all finished. The kids were especially fascinated about the egg garlands, which is in fact very easy to replicate. After this, I have made it a couple of time, as there is corn in stock all the time. Off to the way I made it… Recipe adapted from here
Chinese Sweet Corn Soup
- 285 gm sweet corn kernels tin drained weight
- 3 cups water
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp corn flour diluted in 2 tbsp water
- 1 egg beaten
- Pulse the sweet corn kernels in the blender a few times. Do not grind it completely, do leave some corn kernels for bites.
- Heat water in a pan. Add the blended kernels, chicken stock cubes and sugar and mix well.
- Cook for around 10 minutes on high heat.
- Add in the corn flour slurry and cook till thickened.
- Finally, pour in the egg from top and continuously stir. You will start seeing whitish floats of the egg. Cook for another minute.
- Switch off and serve warm with vinegar, chilli sauce and soya sauce!
2. I did not use salt at all, as the stock cubes have sufficient salt. Add the salt if you feel it is less.
3. Adjust the sugar as per your sweetness.
4. You can add more cornflour if you want the soup thicker. The proportion is 1 portion of cornflour for 2 portion of water.