Time for one of my favorite challenges, the Fantastical Food Fight! This month happens to be National Pasta Month and Sarah couldn’t have chosen anything apt that making anything with pasta! Since the theme was quite easy, I had to jump at it. I would have made pasta every week if my folks would eat. 🙁 HD and B likes it, but the girls are always so-so. Pasta is one of the easiest and laziest meals you can make and I wouldn’t be surprised if anybody told me that they made it multiple times a week.
This Chicken Curry style pasta has a lot of memories to it. In the UAE, a lot of men live together in bachelor accommodation and they would usually cook their own meals then, unlike now, where they would simply flock the nearby restaurant. Every year, D and B would have an Iftar during Ramadan at an uncle’s house. When they would return home, he would sent for us a big hot pot filled with pasta. Umma, I and my sister would wrestle to eat from that pot – total deliciousness! I have always vouched for the fact that men are amazing cooks, that includes HD but I wish he would cook now as he used to before…
OK, so leaving that wishful thinking aside, each time I cook this pasta, it would remind me of that dish. I keep the spices minimal as the girls don’t like too much of spice, but I would always have it with an extra dousing of black pepper. The spices and the coconut milk makes the whole dish so melt-in-mouth delicious. A very simple recipe if you love your chicken curry… 🙂 You can see that I cooked the pasta in pressure cooker, though you can make it you usual way too. To read more on how to pressure cook your pasta, you can check this link!
Chicken Curry Pasta
- 400 gm chicken with or without bone
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup water
- FOR CURRY:
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 green chilies minced
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp fennel powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1 cup thin coconut milk
- 250 gm pasta of choice I used fusili
- 3/4 cup water approx
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- Coriander leaves for garnish
- Combine the chicken with the turmeric, chilli, salt and water in a pressure cooker. Mix well. Pressure cook for 3 whistles. Allow the pressure to go by itself.
- Using a fork, shred the chicken. If you are using bone-in chicken, discard the bones. Set aside.
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil. Add the onion with a pinch of salt and saute till wilted.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and green chillies and saute till raw smell is gone, around a minute.
- Add in the tomato and cook till it is mashed.
- Add in the spice powders and saute till slightly fried.
- Add in the thin coconut milk, and chicken with stock and stir. Adjust seasoning.
- Add in the pasta. Add enough water to be an inch over the pasta.
- Close the cooker lid and cook on medium flame till the whistle almost rings. DO NOT let the whistle come off. Switch off and allow the pasta to rest.
- In 10 minutes, all the pressure would've gone. Open the lid and give a good mix.
- Sprinkle in the garam masala powder and coriander leaves and mix well. Serve hot.
If the whistle goes on, then switch off, keep for a couple of minutes, and release the pressure.
The cooking time depends on the pasta. Most of the pastas get cooked with just the steam.
If you feel your pasta is dry, add some coconut milk and give it a simmer till hot.