Pasta with chicken and broccoli, cooked in Alfredo sauce – and in just one pot!
“Tasty” was an app I recently deleted from my phone. The reason? I would spend hours watching those one minute videos of cooking and then realize that I spent an hour just staring at my phone. I wish actual cooking would happen through the app. It just makes everything sound so easy… hehe… This recipe was done after watching one such video on Tasty. Not that I stuck to the recipe hundred percent, but it helped me make a meal that the folks really loved! I used to lament before that I wished I could make pasta more frequently but my girls never loved it as such. But now, as they are growing up, they are loving their pastas, and it is such a relief for me! Pasta is now on menu twice a month… hehe… How much it makes life easy! This pasta is going to be the second recipe for the Blogging Marathon #118 theme of “Easy Dinner Ideas”, though you can make it for lunch too. 😉
I used to always get confused about how different Alfredo sauce is from bechamel sauce. Even though they basically feel the same, Alfredo sauce is mainly cream and parmesan cheese, but bechamel sauce is milk thickened with a flour roux. Of course, the former is heavy on calories than the latter, so use at your own discretion! 😉 Also, you can use a little more cream and cheese, if that’s your thing. One point I love about this recipe is there are hardly any spices used – all it has is salt and pepper. The only thing you need to peel is garlic, but that is optional! The girls totally enjoyed it but they wished the broccoli ain’t there. I kept rolling my eyes, so thankfully it got eaten too. 😉 Off to this simple recipe…
- 400 gm pack macaroni
- 300 gm chicken breast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small broccoli, florets separated
- 25 gm butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- 250 ml thick cream
- ¾ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning (optional)
- Cube the chicken into bite sized pieces. Toss up in salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat a large saucepan. Melt the butter. Fry the garlic.
- Add the chicken and toss well. Cook, sauteing occasionally, till half done.
- Now add the pasta, top with boiling water to an inch above the pasta. Check seasoning.
- Bring the mixture to boil and then reduce the flame and cook till the pasta gets done. Half way, add the broccoli florets.
- Once the pasta is cooked and all the water is absorbed, add the cream and parmesan cheese, along with the seasoning if using. Mix well and allow to simmer for around five minutes.
- Swithch off and serve hot!