French toast made with some Arab flavors in the form of zaatar, and cheese sandwiched between…
I so look forward to the Blogging Marathon every month, so that I would at least try something new instead of lazying around, which has become one of my favorite pastime now. Not mentioning, the climate hasn’t been exactly conducive to feeling energetic either. Anyway, this week, the theme I selected for the Blogging Marathon #139 is “Don’t be Cheesy”. I love how Valli sometimes coins the phrases for themes. Hehe… I know of people who are extremely mad about cheese, but I am not one among them. I like them in a limited dose and if it goes more, it nauseates me – cheese lovers, please ignore me… 😀 So the three recipes in this theme will use just enough cheese to make them “cheesy”. 😉
While my head was in a rut regarding making a breakfast that would be well within my macros – yes, I am trying to eat cautiously to push back some of my weight, that I have already derailed shamelessly over the past couple of years… -, the IG post from Fufu Kitchen popped up on my feed and I immediately had to try it. Of course, I didn’t add as much as cheese like she did, but of course, you could. For HD, I used a square cheese plus a sprinkling of shredded mozzarella, and he really enjoyed it. The dipping is simply eggs with very little milk, regular seasonings and the star ingredient – zaatar. I would suggest to increase it as much as you would like by sprinkling on the toast while you get it done. This is something I make once a week now for myself – I love it so much!
Cheesy Zaatar French Toast
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp zaatar heaped plus more if needed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices large bread
- Olive oil for toasting
- 2 cheese slices
- 2-4 tbsp grated mozarella cheese optional but recommended
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, zaatar and seasonings till well combined.
- Dunk the bread in the mixture to coat as much as possible and well.
- Heat a pan. Drizzle some olive oil. Cook two toasts at a time. Toss both sides till done. Sprinkle some more zaatar on it while cooking if using.
- Keep one slice of cheese and mozarella if using on one slice. Top with the other slice. Press down and cook briefly on both sides just till all melted.
- Enjoy hot!