This month, for the Shh… Cooking Secretly Challenge, the theme chose was “Fried Snacks”. What better time it could have been! It has been raining cats and dogs back home in India and it was Ramadan during the month, when I guess most of us fry and bake the maximum amount of snacks in a month, more than what is combined during the whole year! 😉 I was paired up with Avin, who blogs at “The Yellow Daal” and she gave me the ingredients of besan (chickpea flour) and chillies.
That was quite an easy one, I felt. Using both the ingredients, I made these pakodas with a small piece of cabbage, which was threatening to wilt in the fridge. The best thing about pakoda is that you can make it with any vegetable in your pantry. Since cabbage is a very tasteless vegetable, the pakoda does need a bit of jazzing up in the form of quite a lot of spices! Pakodas are always enjoyed wholeheartedly by the folks, so this did not take time to be cleaned up too. 🙂 Love pakodas? Then here are the others already on the blog:
Also, do not forget to check out what Avin prepared with the ingredients I have provided for her… 🙂
Cabbage Pakoda ~ Cabbage Fritters
- 250 gm cabbage shredded
- 1 large onion sliced
- 3 green chillies minced
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- A pinch hing
- 1/2 tsp amchur powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 3/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1 cup chickpea flour besan
- A pinch baking soda
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Water to make batter 1/2 cup approximately
- Oil for deep frying
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and add water slowly to make a thick batter.
- Heat oil till smoking point. When you drop a little of the batter, it will sizzle up.
- Drop spoonful of the batter into the oil and fry both sides till golden brown and cooked.
- Serve warm with chai and dipping of choice!