This month’s Baking Eggless Challenge is hosted by Priya of Enveetu Kitchen and her suggestion was dinner rolls. The recipe had just one egg for double the quantity I used, so the only little variation I did was to slightly increase the butter and whisk all the wet ingredients before adding the flour. The rolls were absolutely soft, to say the least. My younger one enjoyed it the most – she had two in a stretch and the next day, had the next two! 🙂 Overall, I enjoyed the experience of making my hands dirty, as I was really scared about how it would turn out to be. I served this with the chicken mushroom stir fry and it was delicious!!!
Egg-less Amazing Dinner Rolls
- 30 ml warm water
- 1-1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 150 ml warmed milk
- 120 gm butter melted
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2-1/2 cups all purpose flour*
- Mix the yeast along with the warm water and 1/4 tsp sugar and allow it to froth. It took me around 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix in the milk, butter, salt and the remaining sugar till well combined. I used a whisk.
- Now add in the yeast mixture and mix again. Add the flour slowly in three batches. I added 3/4 cup of flour and mixed till now lumps.
- Then add the next 3/4 cup and mix till it slowly becomes doughy. Add the remaining slowly and keep kneading the dough till you get a sticky dough.
- Keep it covered for an hour and a half till it doubles in size.
- Knock down the air in the dough and knead again. Divide the dough into two equal parts.
- Roll it on a lightly floured surface in a round shape, around 1/2 inch thickness.
- Cut it into 8 pieces just like how you cut a pizza. Roll each wedge up, beginning from the wide side. Transfer to the baking pan, cover with cling film on the top and set aside for another hour.
- During the last ten minutes, preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
- Remove the cling film and bake the rolls in the oven for around 18 minutes till golden brown. Remove from the oven and serve warm.