When the season is cold and cozy, the only thing that crosses in the mind is, “Can I have something hot?” Mostly it will be chai or coffee, but sometimes you do want something different. One thing I love about blogging is how it has made me discover other options of keeping yourself warm and cozy apart from the normal two. Do have a look at the hot drinks already on the blog, though I personally love the Masala Paal and the Aatta Ka Doodh. This is now the third drink going into that category – Besan Doodh…
Besan or chickpea flour was always for pakodas, as far as I am concerned. 😀 Blogging changed that thought process for sure. After having tried the Jaisalmer Chana, and then this drink, I can’t but be awed by its usefulness. This type of making a drink comes from our northern state of Punjab. Besan Doodh is said to be a very good drink when you are suffering from bouts of cough and cold. It is rich in vitamin B and thiamin, which makes it apt for rejuvenation and energy. If you are in a need of some energy or have a very sick feeling, then fix yourself a mug of this milk and go off to sleep… I can assure you that you will feel rejuvenated. I add cardamom and saffron for the spice kick, but you can skip it or even add cinnamon to this for flavor. Off to this simple recipe…
Besan Doodh ~ Chickpea Flour Milk Drink
- 1 tsp ghee
- 2 tsp chickpea flour besan
- 2 cups milk
- A fat pinch of cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp honey
- Two strands of saffron crushed (optional)
- Melt ghee in a saucepan.Add in the chickpea flour and roast it on very low flame till it turns slightly browned and smells nutty.
- Add in 1/4 cup of milk and whisk to make a roux without any lumps. Add in the remaining milk and give a good whisk.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and cook till the mixture simmers and is slightly thickened.
- Serve warm.