In December, the Sshhh Cooking Club decided to take a break, and now we are back with our new challenge for this month. The theme of the month was anything “red or pink” considering the upcoming “month of love”. I always feel that love is something to be cherished and nourished all through out the year. I don’t believe in the policy of going out and gifting a loved one on one specific day. It is more of a business trick that anything else. I am a person who likes to gift off my whim – when I feel like, I get something for HD, the kids, my parents or my friends, not being specific on dates. The Prophet (PBUH) asked us to “exchange gifts, as that will lead to increasing your love for one another.” (Sahih Bukhari) Therefore I rest my case… 😉 I know people feel gifting is an expensive thing to do, but no, it is not. A rose can be a gift, a simple chocolate can be a gift, a hand written note can be a gift, a thoughtful deed can be a gift… anything done with the right intention can be a gift. A drive in the early morning, a silent evening across the beach watching the kids play, all can be gifts… Yeah, I hope all of you are getting it, I am trying to give a cue to Mr. HD here… 😉 Hehe… 😀
I was considering posting a sweet recipe, considering my partner, Shobhaji, gave me beetroot and flour as my ingredients. As I sifted through my drafts, my eyes fell on these beautiful “red pooris” as Azza calls them. My kids love these, so I decided that these should come ahead before any other “red” food comes by! 😀 Pooris are normally not considered healthy food, so we make it once in a while, and the kids and adults love them equally. Since the kids love beetroot, I tried making these pooris and without much surprise, these were devoured. Now, anytime it is pooris for lunch, Azza asks, “Ummi, why no red pooris?” Hehe… It is a good way to include beetroot into diet of children who otherwise hesitate to eat this super nutritious vegetable.
Before moving off to the recipe, do check out what Shobhaji made with the secret ingredients I gave her… 🙂
Beetroot Pooris ~ Beetroot Deep-fried Flatbread
- 1 1/2 cup wholewheat flour*
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp semolina
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup beetroot puree
- Water as required
- Oil to fry
- Add the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Add the oil and rub in. Add the beetroot puree and mix. Add water slowly and knead till stiff but soft. Keep in an oiled bowl for around 15 minutes.
- Take lime sized balls and bail into a round, not too thick or thin.
- Heat enough oil in a deep frying pan. When you drop a small peice of dough, if it sizzles up, it is ready to fry.
- Slide in one poori in, fry the side till puffed up.
- Flip and fry the other side for a couple of minutes till done.
- Drain onto a kitchen towel and serve warm with a potato side or any curry of choice.