This bread was a “thank you” bake for my friend, who took care of the kids when we were staying at our old place. Since having a maid is a Herculean task in this part of the world, many of the working parents resort to babysitting facilities to take care of their children in their absence. For many housewives, it is an added income and support for their husbands. My friend became my friend because her daughter was Rasha’s classmate in grade 1. When I knew she was taking care of other kids, I asked her and though her hands were full and she could have said no to me, she very wholeheartedly took them in and took care of them very well. In fact, Azza, who is a very reserved character, struggled during the initial couple of weeks but with her persistence, now enjoys the company of other children, which is such a relief to me. Close to the time when we were in the process of shifting, I baked this delicious bread to her. Since her husband is a fitness freak, I added more wholewheat flour than all-purpose flour to this bake – normally, when I bake for somebody else, I always use only all-purpose flour as not everybody would appreciate the dense texture that wholewheat flour lends to bakes. I was glad that they absolutely loved it. I still keep in touch with her, because I am thankful to Allah and her for giving her when I was really in a fix when umma had to constantly travel.
Off to this healthy bread… Recipe adapted from here
Banana Chocolate Chip Bread
- 1 cup wholewheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 3 bananas mashed
- 1/4 cup oil
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Grease a large loaf pan.
- In a bowl, mix all the dry ingredients well.
- Add the eggs, banana and oil onto it and mix well till incorporated. The batter will be thick.
- Add the chocolate chips and give just one mix - do not overmix. Pour into the pan.
- Bake for 60 minutes till skewer comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then invert onto a cooling rack. Cool completely before slicing and serving.
- I brushed the top of the loaf with melted chocolate.