As for now, I am sharing the first meal I cooked in the microwave. It was a lonely Friday afternoon – both the men of the house, HD and B were enjoying their short stays back home. I was not in a mood to order a take away. I checked up with a lot of my blogger friends for ideas and finally thought of making plain rice and chicken curry. My first attempt had to be non-veg, then only I would have empty vessels to wash! Hehe… I must say that I was mighty pleased with the whole meal. The kids enjoyed it, in fact Rasha was surprised that I cooked it. “How did you make it, ummi?” “In the microwave!” The expression said it all. Off to the way I made it… Recipe adapted from here
|What relief to have home food after long… 🙂|
Microwave Meals ~ Simple Chicken Curry with Plain Rice
- 250 gm chicken thighs cut into medium pieces
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 heaped tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp fennel powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- In a microwave bowl, add oil and onion. Microwave for 3 minutes.
- Add in the tomatoes and spice powders except the garam masala powder and microwave for 5 minutes. Mix well.
- Now add the chicken along with salt and 1/2 cup water.
- Microwave on closed lid for 15 minutes. You will find the curry to be dry.
- Take out the bowl, sprinkle the garam masala, add another 1/2 cup of water.
- Microwave for another 3 minutes without lid. Rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm with plain rice!
- For Plain Rice:
- Wash the measured basmati rice well. I used one cup. Soak rice for 30 minutes.
- Put the rice and double the water - 2 cups (normal temperature) in a large microwave bowl and microwave for 12 minutes.
- Leave untouched for 5 minutes.
- Fluff up with fork and serve!!!