After dillydallying with it for quite some time, I finally decided to make them. The challenge was definitely replacing 3 eggs but then Alhamdulillah, I was able to do it successfully. I won’t call it fudgy but it was really crumbly and melt in the mouth! I totally loved the texture and the feel of the brownie that it was difficult to stop with just one piece. This one was my first midnight baking experience – the kids were fast asleep and HD was watching some boring movie on TV, as he always does when he comes down home. I was unable to sleep as I had already taken 3 hours sleep due to my low health at that time. That was when this brownie that I had pinned up my fridge board stared at me and I made it immediately. At 12:30 am, I was busy melting the chocolate and butter, preparing my pan, preheating my oven and the rest is history! Hehe… Off to the way I made it…
One last picture to tempt you… 🙂
- 100 gms butter
- 5 oz bitterdark chocolate (I used 71%)
- 2 oz white chocolate drops (check notes)
- ½ cup yogurt
- 1 flax egg (check notes)
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- A handful of nuts, coarsely chopped (I used pecans, hazelnuts and walnuts)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Line a brownie pan (8 inch square) with parchment paper and coat with cooking spray or some oil. Set aside.
- Melt the butter and chocolates till done. Cool slightly.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the flax egg, yogurt and brown sugar till well dissolved. Add in the vanilla essence and whisk.
- Add in the melted mixture and mix well.
- Now add in the salt, baking soda and flour and whisk till moistened. The batter would be glossy.
- Pour into the prepared pan and tap slightly. Sprinkle the nuts all over and press slightly.
- Bake for 30 minutes till the brownie is slightly risen, the top is no longer glossy and the nuts are browned.
- Cool in the pan completely. Pull out with the parchment, cut into 16 squares and enjoy!
For the flax egg, combine 1 tbsp milled flax seeds with 3 tbsp water and set aside till it turns glutenous. I made this first in the mixing bowl, the mixture would look gloopy. Then added the yogurt and went ahead.
In case you don't have flaxseeds, just replace it with an extra ¼ cup yogurt.