Sometimes, whatever you do is never enough. Never enough for a human being to understand what you are actually thinking and going through. Over the past months, each day has been a learning experience and everything that happens continuously keeps pointing fingers at this particular understanding. What does Allah say?
Coming to today’s recipe, if you saw something peaking out of the Kozhi Varuthathu post, then it was this very simple and humble ulli masala – onion dry curry. This dish would be prepared by umma to accompany our fried chicken at any given point of time. I guess I am just following her! There is nothing complicated in it… load of onion, tomato, green chillies and little spices and you are good to go for a lovely side for your chicken! Off to the way it is made…
Ulli Masala ~ Simple Onion Dry Curry
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 3 large onions thinly sliced
- 3 green chilies slit
- 1 pc ginger pounded
- 4 cloves garlic pounded
- 3 meduim tomatoes chopped
- 3/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- Curry leaves and coriander leaves for garnish
- Heat oil in a saucepan. Splutter the mustard seeds, cumin and fennel seeds.
- Add the onions and green chillies and saute till transparent.
- Add in the ginger and garlic and saute till the raw smell of it is gone.
- Add the tomatoes and cook till it gets all mashed up.
- Add in the masala powders and saute till a nice dark shade emerges. Add salt.
- Serve hot with fried chicken or any dry chicken preparation, or just as is along with some rotis!