I would have loved to share some local food today, unfortunately I have never tried anything till now! Such a shame, right? 🙁 But yes, for sure InShaAllah, it is already on my agenda. I have collected a few recipes that are local favorites that I would love to try very soon. Till then, I guess I will keep you satisfied with this simple pickle recipe, something that I keep making and love to have. I am not a pickle person, I don’t have a tongue for spicy food so I generally avoid pickles. But then I cannot resist a really good garlic pickle or a date pickle. My grandma makes the best garlic pickle and I always have a big jar in my fridge that always lasts till my next vacation! That is how little I eat them, despite loving it… This is my first attempt at making pickle at home and wasn’t I really glad? Have made it again a couple of times and have cherished having it as well… It’s so simple, and sits good in the refrigerator for a month, that if it stays for that long… 🙂
Simple Dates Pickle
- 20 dates
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 tsp ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp garlic paste
- 2 green chillies chopped
- 2 dry chillies chopped
- A sprig curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- A pinch hing asafoetida
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- Wash and pat dry the dates. Remove the seeds and chop into quarters. Set aside.
- In a fry pan, heat the oil. Splutter the mustard and fenugreek seeds.
- Add in the ginger, garlic, chillies and curry leaves and saute till raw smell is gone, a couple of minutes.
- Add in the powders and vinegar and allow to boil.
- Now add in the chopped dates and mix well.
- Cook on low flame for around 5 minutes. Switch off, allow to cool and store in a dry bottle.