When you are working, you automatically wait for the weekends. Not that it is going to be your rest time, but somehow you will feel at ease. This week is going to be a long one, Alhamdulillah. I am not very excited, since we don’t have much of plans and I actually don’t want any plans too. Maybe just a long drive, or a movie with the kids at home is what I hope for. The mood to move out and have some fun time has somehow diminished now – I don’t know if it’s the catching up of age or something else. 😀
Coming to the recipe for today… It’s an Emirati style salad that I have adapted from here. What I love about this salad is that it has a lovely combination of healthy carbs in the form of barley, and loads of greens in it. The fat comes from sprinkling of Chamee cheese on top, which gives it a lovely salty flavor. All you need to do is have a bezaar spiced chicken fillet grilled in some olive oil on the side, and you have a complete meal on hand! Barley is not something I have at home all the time, but I do bring it and keep, since it becomes very handy to make some filling soups (like this one) or generally just boiled. All the greens included in the salad makes it a mouthful too, that it feels like an interesting variation of the Tabbouleh. Off to this simple recipe…
- ½ cup barley, cooked till done
- 1 large pomegranate, arils removed
- 2 bunches rocket leaves (arugula/ gerger)
- 1 bunch parsley leaves
- A handful mint leaves
- FOR DRESSING:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp sumac
- Chamee for topping
- Mince the rocket leaves, parsley and mint leaves well.
- Toss in all ingredients from cooked barley to the chopped leaves.
- Whisk together the ingredients for dressing except the Chamee. Pour over the salad and toss well.
- Serve topped with a sprinkling of Chamee or feta cheese.