One week of Ramadan has flown by and we are into the second week now. Isn’t it like that always, that the time you were so much awaiting for, comes by and flies by before you even realize? This is one such time for us… when blessing are promised in bountiful and when each and every good deeds with the right intentions will be taken into consideration…
Off to today’s recipe, which is what I accompanied the Batturas with for my carnivores family. Only chana normally draws very dark and clumsy faces at home, especially my B. When I saw this recipe, I just had to try it and not to mention, the chana disappeared along with the chicken!!! 😉 So it is like getting in double proteins into the system, you see…. hehe… This is basically a Pakistani style curry. I had found the recipe on an old FB page which is non-existent now. But it is so delicious, that you will want to make it again and again!
Murg Chanay - Chicken and Chickpeas Curry
- 3/4 cup chickpeas soaked overnight
- 6 chicken drumsticks 900 gms
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion sliced
- 3 green chillies slit lengthwise
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 2 small tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1/2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Cook the chickpeas till done in sufficient water in a pressure cooker.
- Heat another pressure cooker, add the oil and saute the onions and green chillies till it becomes brown.
- Add the ginger and garlic pastes and saute for a minute.
- Add the chicken legs and give it a gentle mix. Now sprinkle the masalas except the garam masala and also add the tomato on top.
- Mix it very well, add some salt, close the pressure cooker and cook to one whistle. Switch off and allow the pressure to go off.
- Open the lid and heat up the curry. Add the cooked chickpeas along with 1/2 cup of the cooked water into the chicken.
- Add the garam masala and adjust the salt. Simmer it for 5 minutes and serve hot!!!