HD had bought squid with the hope that I would clean it and cook all by myself. I smilingly declared: “You know I am allergic, how do I cut and clean it? If you do it for me, then I will cook.” Now he was in a fix – he so badly wanted to eat squid. So there, he changed his clothes, pulled out the cutting board and the knife and got to cleaning the squid. Since I also put on gloves and helped him out cut the squid, I couldn’t take snaps of this very rare moment!!! Hehe… Then I got making this roast along with tomato rice… I will not post the tomato rice I made because I got really weird mixed reviews!!! Not talking about that much… hehe… Even though I ate just one piece to just know the taste, it was wiped in no time. Thankfully, HD devored it and gave me a big thumbs up… 🙂
Koonthal/ Squid Roast
- 10 squids cleaned and cut into peices
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Handful curry leaves
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 large tomato chopped
- Salt to taste
- Add the squid along with ingredients from ginger-garlic paste to fennel seeds in a pressure cooker with very little water.
- Pressure cook for one whistle on high and 10 minutes on simmer. Switch off and allow the pressure to go by itself.
- Heat oil in a saucepan. Splutter the mustard seeds. Fry the curry leaves for a few seconds and then add in the onion. Cook till it becomes soft.
- Add the tomato and continue cooking on low flame till the tomatoes get smashed.
- Add the cooked squid along with the masala paste from the pressure cooker and cook on high flame, continuously stirring till the sauce becomes thick.
- Serve warm with rice and curry, pulao, roti... It's upto you!!! 🙂