I replaced the all-purpose flour in this recipe to include part wholewheat flour and remaining with oats. Instead of using normal oil, I used olive oil. That is why I tagged it healthy. Seriously, I missed nothing. Since I was not able to land my hands on zucchini, I went ahead and added marrows into this bake. The result was a really moist loaf, crumbly and melt in the mouth! I was happy that I was having a healthy treat while putting down my BST devils!
Tail end – this cake was baked when Azza was in her temper worst. She was crying her lungs out and was in a mood to dig her hand into anything she could harm or damage. The first thing she saw was the cake sitting on the cooling rack and knowing how I am, she immediately dug her hand into the warm loaf and tore down a part of the loaf! So I had a literally damaged loaf and had a tough time taking pictures as she was hell bend at damaging the remaining loaf. Moral of the story: when the toddler is in a lousy mood, keep your cakes at a really high point for cooling! Duh…
Healthy Carrot Zucchini Bread
- 1 cup wholewheat flour
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1/2 cup olive oil I used extra virgin
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 large carrots grated
- 4 small zucchini * grated
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Spray a large loaf pan and set aside.
- Grind the oats into a fine powder. Combine along with flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon in a bowl and whisk well.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs and olive oil till well combined.
- Add the sugar and mix well. Add the carrots and zucchini.
- Add the dry ingredients and fold in with a spatula, Finally add the walnuts and give a final mix.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes till skewer comes out clean. I baked for 65 minutes. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Flip onto the cooling rack and cool completely before slicing and serving.