For today’s post, it is a very delicious cake that I baked first for HD’s staff without taking out a single piece and not knowing how the end result would be but hearing their rave reviews, I baked a smaller one, exactly half the recipe, again during the same week and enjoyed it ourselves. That is why you will see two types of pictures in this post. I have been dreaming about a mango cake or at least a mango frosted cake ever since I saw this post. So I must say I was totally inspired by it. The cake recipe was taken from a bookmarked recipe of a fellow blogger. Totally, it was an amazing cake, I must say. I guess, I just cut my words short and just proceed with the recipe, since I have already written too much in the beginning… hehe…
As I have already mentioned in my introduction, I will be travelling to my home InShaAllah early tomorrow morning and will be there for the next five weeks. I am pretty much excited about it as I haven’t stayed this long for quite some time now. I am looking forward to relaxing, a bit of sight seeing, some rains… InShaAllah, though not expecting too much because vacations always end up being so hectic that you would like to go off for another one! Hehe…
However, I am not leaving my blog empty… you will see a few scheduled posts appearing as and when it is done for, and three guest posts from some super bloggers as well… so stay tuned and InShaAllah, will come back to live blogging in September – provided that I have all the energy in me still! 😉 I wouldn’t be able to go around on any of the blogs so please do keep dropping in and saying a “hi” whenever you can… as I would keep checking in to see your messages and respond as much as I can. So till then… take care… stay blessed… 🙂
Eggless Milk Powder Cake with Mango Yogurt Frosting
- FOR CAKE:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk powder
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- FOR SIMPLE SUGAR SYRUP:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- FOR FROSTING:
- 500 gm yogurt
- 1 cup mango pulp
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large mango chopped into small cubes
- 4 tbsp pistachio kernels finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease and flour a 9 inch deep baking pan
- Combine the dry ingredients well with a whisk.
- Add in the oil, milk and vanilla extract and fold till the mixture gets moist. The batter will be really thick.
- Put into the prepared baking pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes till skewer comes out clean.
- Keep in pan for 10 minutes and then flip onto a cooling rack. Cool completely.
- Mix the water and sugar for the syrup and cook for around 10 minutes till the sugar is dissolved. There is no need to check for consistency. Set aside to cool.
- Put the yogurt in a muslin cloth on top of a bowl and allow it to drain for at least 4 hours in the fridge. This will give around 1 cup of thick, hung curd.
- Combine the hung curd, mango pulp, sugar and vanilla extract and whisk till smooth. Leave in the refrigerator till time for frosting.
- To arrange the cake, cut the cake in the centre. Sprinkle some sugar syrup on the bottom portion.
- Spread half the mango yogurt frosting on top. Put in the chopped mango cubes all over.
- Sprinkle sugar syrup on the other half of the cake and keep it on the top of the mango.
- Spread the remaining yogurt frosting on top. Decorate with chopped pistachios.
- Set the cake in the fridge for an hour for the flavors to incorporate. Cut and serve!