A simple spinach soup, apt for cold chilly nights…
It is the last day of the month and usually I post a recipe related to the Shh Cooking Secretly Challenge, if I am participating. I have been a part of this group for a long time and I look forward to the challenges being shared every month, and participate as much as I can, depending on my situation. This month, Prithi suggested to cook with winter vegetables and my partner is Jayasree. I have been reading her blog for some time for challenges and otherwise and love the collection of simple vegetarian recipes she shares. She gave me the secret ingredients of milk and cumin. Initially I was a little hesitant, because this combination is quite odd, but I decided to take it as a challenge and use it.
I always pick up spinach and try to cook with it as much as possible, even though the girls are not very fond. Most of the time, it becomes this palak paneer or gets sauteed into while I make some chana pulao. Since spinach is a winter vegetable, I decided to use it to make soup but was a little hesitant to use milk till I saw this recipe. I didn’t stick to the recipe per say, but the end result was such a delicious soup that I ended up drinking two full cups of it. The recipe is really easy – a little bit of sauteing, and then all ingredients are just put into the cooker and gets done. The soup is then blended till smooth and immediately served. With the simple ingredients used, it is a breeze to make. You can easily double it up and freeze some for those quick fix meals as well! Meanwhile, do check out what Jayasree has made with the ingredients I gave her…
Easy Spinach Soup | Palak Soup
- 2 bunches spinach chopped, washed and drained
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small onion roughly chopped
- 1 small potato roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 bouillion cubes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a pressure cooker, heat the oil, splutter the cumin. Fry the garlic briefly.
- Add the onion and potato and toss. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and give it a mix. Close the cooker and cook for one whistle.
- Switch off and allow the pressure to go on its own.
- Open the cooker and using a hand blender, blend the mixture till smooth.
- Adjust the seasoning and enjoy!