One word of warning – this is definitely not for kids! My children didn’t really enjoy it. I am sure it was because of the bitterness of the dark chocolate coupled with the minimum sugar that I added. Rasha kept complaining that it was bitter! Well, as per her standards, it was, but I really enjoyed it with a cup of black coffee – what a combination that was! We had the cake for tea over a stretch of three days, and all days, me and B had big slices while HD helped himself with the tiniest piece who could take, since he is nowhere a sweet tooth, but still gave me a thumbs-up for the little piece he ate.
Dark Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache
- 250 gm dark chocolate chopped
- 225 gm butter softened to room temperature
- 150 gm sugar can go upto 225 gm
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- 200 gm all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 125 ml milk
- FOR GANACHE:
- 150 gm dark chocolate chopped
- 150 gm cream
- 20 gm butter
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees. Grease and line a 24 cm spring-foam pan.
- Melt the chocolate over a pan of boiling water. Cool completely. In a bowl, sieve the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the softened butter and sugar till fluffy and creamy.
- Break in one egg at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add the dry ingredients in three additions, beating after each addition. Finally add in the milk, melted chocolate and vanilla essence and give it a final mixing.
- Pour into the prepared pan, tap to flatten the top. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, till the tester comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then cool on a rack.
- To prepare ganache, combine all ingredients and melt on a hot water bath till you get a smooth glossy mixture. Allow to cool before spreading it on the top of the cake and sprinkle some sugar sprinkles for making it look colorful, just like I did!!! 🙂