Coffee is a close second when it come to baking, after chocolate. I love anything with coffee in it. If it has both, then nothing like it! 😉 Coming to our second recipe in the 3 back-to-back microwave treats after the bread pudding, here is a delicious coffee mug cake studded with the crunchiness of walnuts. This is apt for a lazy breakfast, or a quick treat that you do not want to share. I have this problem that when I crave, I make my little treat and try to eat it as quickly as possible, only to see one of the kids coming into the kitchen at that time, when my mouth is fully stuffed. Azza somehow doesn’t bother since she is not much of a foodie, she takes what she wants and moves out. But Rasha will be all inquisitive, “Ummi, are you eating something?” “Why is your face looking like this?” “Are you having something in your hand?” *trying to peep through my side* I guess I am not alone in this case! 😉 At times, it does make you feel like a bad mother, but then we don’t need to share everything we have with them, should we? *thinking*
So here it is, a delicious coffee laden mug cake for you as the second in the line… try to use butter itself, since it gives a much better flavor to the mug cake. You can replace the egg with a flax egg or 1/4 cup of yogurt to make it egg free. I totally enjoyed this mug cake and surely, I would rate this one as my favorite mug cake, till another one comes along. 😀 Off to the recipe…
- 20 gm butter, melted
- 1 tsp instant coffee, diluted in 2 tbsp warm water
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 4 tbsp all purpose flour
- A pinch of baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp whipped cream and a walnut, for topping
- In a mug, combine the melted butter, egg, diluted coffee, vanilla and sugar till well combined.
- Add in the dry ingredients and fold in till all moist.
- Microwave for 1 minutes and 30 seconds (mine is a 1000 W microwave). Leave to cool.
- Top with the cream and walnut.