While I was deciding on the posts for the “Savory Bakes” theme for this week’s Blogging Marathon #101, foccacia was playing in my mind. My girls love Foccacia, especially the younger one. She would walk up and down the kitchen till she finishes eating majority of the bake, just the way Rasha would walk up and down to finish a chocolate cake! Each time I have baked the yeast foccacia, and then I landed up on this link which gives you a foccacia in flat 1 hour. It has no yeast and comes together so quick. Who wouldn’t like to try such a recipe?
But I wasn’t without any apprehensions while making this recipe. I read through all the comments and made sure I stuck to the recipe without playing around too much with it. To my surprise, you wouldn’t miss the yeast at all. The bread rose beautifully and had an amazing texture, even though it is slightly gummy. Nonetheless, the bread finished before dinner time. I had made it for Iftar and the girls really loved eating it. It makes me wonder why I don’t bake more savory bakes for the girls – mostly thanks to my laziness! Off to the recipe…
Cheesy Yeastless Foccacia
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp olive oil + more for greasing
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- Sprinkling of thyme and orgeano
- 100 gm grated mozarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease an 8 inch pan with olive oil and set aside.
- Pour water into a bowl. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt over the water.
- Using a beater with hook attachment, beat the mixture together till combined. Do not add more flour - the mixture will look in between a batter and dough.
- Using a spatula, transfer the mix into the greased pan and spread evenly. Make thumb impression over it.
- Spread the olive oil over it, the chilli flakes, thyme and oregano.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Pull out the bread, spread the mozarella cheese on it.
- Bake for another 10 minutes. Cool slightly in pan, slice and serve warm with dipping of choice.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page to see what the other Blogging Marathoners are doing this BM#101.