A buttery banana cake, baked in a sheet pan, apt for large gatherings….
Ramadan and Eid came and went in a blink of the eye. I don’t even know how to express my feelings over the past one month. Nowadays, it is like by the time you accept the way you feel, it is already time for the next event to happen. The way that time is flying is crazy and even more makes us realize that maybe things are set to change soon. May Allah make it easy for all of us… Aameen…
I first baked this cake when I was with my sis in US in the summer of 2021. I guess you realize that I am very much not over it. With my parents there B with family on a very short trip – they are expected to be back in a couple of days – I miss it even more. Anyway, while we made apple cakes to distribute to our neighbors for the Eid-ul-Adha that time – which I have to bake one very soon and post it on the blog sooner than later… 😀 – we baked this sheet cake to carry with us to the last destination for that day, which was their first set of friends when they landed in the US. The group has around 11 families, and I must say, what a friendly and fun group that is! Each time we would meet up at somebody’s home, I always had a really good time, Alhamdulillah… The cake literally disappeared after dinner. I then baked it again when going to B’s house and we all ate the cake up. They had the leftover over the next couple of days. Hehe…
I adapted the recipe from here. It is a nice all-butter banana cake with a mildly sweet cream cheese frosting. It is perfect for get togethers and just the perfect cake to go with tea for your evening parties. Since baked in a 13×9 pan, the thickness is perfect for those who don’t want to eat a lot of cake. 🙂 If I could, I would have baked and had this all the time, but alas, I don’t have a bunch of folks who enjoy banana bread… Hehe… Off to the recipe…
Banana Sheet Cake | Banana Butter Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 125 gm butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar can increase for sweetness
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs large, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large ripe bananas mashed, roughly one cup
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 200 gm Philadelphia cream cheese one tub
- 50 gm butter softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar refer notes
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease and flour a 13x9 inch pan and set aside.
- Sift together the floor, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and set aside.
- In a bowl, beat the butter and sugars till light and fluffy. Add one egg at a time and beat.
- Add the vanilla and banana and beat.
- Add half the flour mixture and the yogurt. Fold in well.
- Add the remaining flour mixture and fold till batter is all moist and there are no lumps.
- Spread into the pan and bake for 25-30 minutes till the skewer comes out clean in the center.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- To make frosting, beat all ingredients till well combined and light. Spread over the cooled cake.
- Slice and enjoy!