Off to today’s recipe… it is always good to combine vegetables with meat, so that at least the vegetables would go into the tummy. I have always had aloo kheema at restaurants but never made them at home since I don’t have a potato savvy people at home. Once, I had run out of ideas and with hardly anything in the pantry apart from a pack of chicken mince and a little bunch of potatoes, I was suddenly reminded of this dish. I browsed through several recipes and came up with mine. I must say that this one is a lipsmacking combination and tastes just awesome especially with some naans or tandoor rotis. This curry would taste good with plain rice as well. What I particularly like in this is the mild taste of ghee… just love it!
Aloo Kheema ~ Minced Meat Potato Curry
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 onions minced
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2 to matoes chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp ghee
- 400 gm chicken mince
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- 4 small potatoes boiled and chopped
- A generous pinch kasuri methi
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves for garnish
- Heat oil in a saucepan, splutter the cumin seeds. Add the onion and saute till soft.
- Add the ginger and garlic pastes and cook till the raw smell is gone, around 3 minutes.
- Add in the powders and saute till it gets cooked.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste and ghee and mix well. Close the lid and cook till the tomatoes are mashed.
- Add in the chicken mince and cook for 10 minutes or till cooked. Add in some water if the mixture is too dry.
- Add the yogurt and potatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes. F
- inally sprinkle in the kasuri methi and garam masala, adjust the salt and mix well.
- Serve warm garnished with coriander leaves, with naan or chapathis!