I love bakes which have fruit and nuts in it. Just like this one… After baking the cakey brownies in the Fat Witch Bakery cookbook, the next one I had my eyes set on were on these orange walnut blondies. After these blondies, it had been long since I had baked one so it was the best opportunity to take it up. I always feel baking is a bottomless pit – you never finish trying new varieties of bakes! There are so much to try – my pins, my bookmarks, my printouts and my cookbooks are filled with many many bakes, waiting for me to lay my hands on. Since I have been off butter, somehow I don’t have the mood to bake with butter as such. I don’t know whether to call myself selfish… 😉
OK, coming back to this bake… If you love orange bakes, then do try this one. It will definitely waken up your senses… The surprising bit is there is not much of orange juice going in, but the healthy amount of zest is what adds to the light flavor of the cake. I better not talk about the bite of walnuts – the only nut that I hate to eat but love in my bakes. I hope I am not alone in that feeling about walnuts… 😀 Off to the recipe…
- 100 gm butter
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp grated orange zest
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease and floor a brownie pan.
- Melt butter and sugar till well combined and smooth. Allow to come to room temperature. Transfer this to a mixing bowl. Add one egg at a time and beat well till combined. Add the orange juice and vanilla and beat briefly.
- Sift in the dry ingredients into the batter. Mix gently till well combined. Using a wooden spoon, fold in the orange zest and walnuts. Spread batter into pan and bake for 30 minutes till toothpick comes out with crumbs. The top would be golden brown and the edges would pull from the side of the pan.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a rack for 1 hour.
- Cut into 16 pieces and serve!