Time for the Secret Recipe Club reveal day! I must admit this is one challenge I am so happy to be in! Every month, once our reveal is done, I eagerly wait to see which blog is assigned for the coming month. A food blogger never gets tired of going through another food blog. The only issue is that it gives a feeling that there is still so much to try! 😀 I don’t think that is bad at all. As long as we realize that cooking is a continuous learning process, it will make you feel fine. 😉 The blog assigned to me for this month was “Our Eating Habits“. The owner of the blog, Jamie is the mother of three lovely kids, who are home-schooled, and she absolutely enjoys cooking for them. It is so well evident on her blog. The range of recipes on the blog is truly amazing. I made my life easier by skipping the non-vegetarian dishes and browsed through the vegetarian options and the bake section (obviously! 😉 ).
While browsing, I was so tempted by the Apple Walnut Cheddar Salad and Carrot Coriander Soup. Of course, I wouldn’t want to miss the “sweet” index and loved the Sour Cream Brown Sugar Ice Cream and the Biscoff Scones. But the recipe that won my heart was this soup. I loved everything that was in this soup – the barley, the beans, the heavy tomato flavor… It was so easy to put together and cook, and at the end of the day, you have a hale and hearty meal on its own! I adjusted the recipe as per the availability in my pantry and I would definitely say that this is a soup I will repeat often for sure, when I run out of ideas or have no mood to cook! 😉 What I loved best was HD’s “hmm hmm” sounds when he was having the soup. This was surprising since I have rarely heard him say that with food! You may hear such sounds from me but not from him, he is someone who prefers to keep quiet while eating, even if the food is good. 😀 That means that the soup was amazing. I better not talk about the kids as I have not been able to convert them into soup likers – they are total tough nuts to crack! 😕 I guess I have to insulate myself from their reactions, but as long as HD enjoyed and I loved it, I am going to make this for ourselves again, during the coming winter months! 😀 Off to the way I made it…
Hearty Bean Barley Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic mashed
- 1 onion minced
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 1 to mato chopped
- 3 heaped tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup kidney beans soaked overnight and drained
- 1/4 cup pearl barley washed and drained
- 1 ltr water
- 2 vegetable stock cubes I used Maggi
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch spinach chopped
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Briefly fry the garlic till a nice aroma comes.
- Add in the onions and carrots and saute till slightly wilted.
- Add in the tomato and paste and mix well.
- Now add in the beans, barley, water and stock cubes and give a good mix.
- Close the lid of the cooker. Cook on high upto three whistles, lower the flame and cook for another three whistles. Switch off and allow to cool.
- Open the lid, add in the spinach and cook for a couple of minutes till it is wilted. Adjust salt and pepper.
- Serve warm as is! It is good as a meal!