I guess I was getting a tad bit emotional so a classic dessert to pep me up… Gajar Ka Halwa is a home favorite. Rasha loves to grate carrots so she would do that without any complaints. The only thing I have to do is to make them. I have already shared my go-to recipe and this time, I am sharing you about how to make it in the microwave. I was sceptical whether it would give the texture I like, since I like to see my carrots all nicely mashed up and surprisingly, it did turn out to be a lovely halwa! We enjoyed it post dinner nice and warm… Recipe adapted from here
Gajar Ka Halwa/ Carrot Halwa ~ Microwave Method
- 500 gm carrots peeled and grated
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 1/2 cup low fat milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- For garnish:
- 1 tsp ghee
- 2 tbsp almonds crushed
- Heat ghee for 30 seconds in microwave.
- Add the carrots, mix well. Microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- Now add the milk and microwave for 6 minutes, stirring after every two minutes.
- Add the cardamom and sugar and microwave for 20 to 25 minutes till done, depending upon how much "bite" you need! I microwaved for 25 minutes. Stir 2-3 times in .
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat ghee in another bowl for 30 seconds. Add the crushed almonds and microwave for 3 minutes. Pour this on halwa and stir. Dig in... yum!