As of now, let me put you through this flavorful chicken curry that I had adapted from one of my favorite cookbooks, “The Suriani Kitchen”. I have already tried the Meen Arappu Roast and the Chakkakuru Varattiyathu from this lovely book, and this is my third trial. This easy to make chicken curry is a delight for the Keralite tongue, taking into account that coconut is a part of it. It sounds similar to the Green Chicken Masala I had cooked sometime back, but with the addition of coconut. It is easy to put together and tastes great with some neychoru or just some chapathis!
Thenga Malli Kozhi Curry ~ Coconut Coriander Chicken Curry
- 1 kg chicken cut into pcs, cleaned and drained
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 inch pc ginger
- 8 cloves garlic
- 2 onions minced
- 1 large tomato chopped
- Salt to taste
- Juice of one lemon
- FOR GRINDING:
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1 cup coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- 2 green chillies
- FOR POWDERING:
- 2 pcs cinnamon
- 3 cardamom
- 6 cloves
- In a saucepan, heat oil. Sauté onions till just wilted.
- Add in the pound ginger and garlic and sauté till raw smell is gone.
- Add the ground paste and cook till oil floats in the top.
- Add the chicken, salt and the ground powder and mix well.
- Cook covered till almost done, stirring occasionally.
- Finally add the chopped tomatoes and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Just before serving, squeeze in the lemon juice.