It is the tenth of the month and it is time for the Muslim Food Blogger Challenge! This month being Ramadan we decided to keep the theme simple and also take a break for next month, since the post date would come immediately after Eid and the last thing you want to do during Ramadan is cook for a challenge! 😉
This month, we decided to make some soup. Now soup is one of the best meals you can have during Iftar. A complete blend of good carbs, proteins and fiber, it is a filling meal, that won’t make you bloat! With everyone looking at options to make their Iftars or dinners more healthy, soups definitely comes in as priority for many of them. Here are all the soup options that are already there on the blog…
Meanwhile, I present to you my simple soup filled with bites of chicken, vegetables and vermicelli! The inspiration for this soup came from a soup that came along with the meal from a restaurant that we had ordered from. It was one of the best soups I had in a long time, though it was mighty spicy! I decided to follow the concept in my own way. I kept the flavors simple. This soup is totally a filler. You wouldn’t need any side if you are using all the vermicelli I have used. But if you just need a little, and would like to eat a full on meal later, then do reduce the vermicelli to 1/4 cup.
I have chosen to thicken the soup with little oats, which is not needed as the vermicelli will thicken as it sits and add body to the soup. But the oats adds a little more fiber, so let it be. 🙂 The flavors are simple, and you can do your adjustments to make it as appetizing as possible. Off to the recipe… And do check down to see soups that my blogger friends have come up with!
- 400 gm boneless chicken, cubed into small paces
- 25 gm butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 spring onions, chopped separately
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 tbsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 cup vermicelli (check notes)
- ¼ cup oats
- 1 cube chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter and add the olive oil. Once hot, add the garlic and sizzle.
- Add the white part of the spring onion to it and saute for a minute.
- Add the carrots and cabbage and toss well.
- Add the chicken along with the spice powders and give a good mix. Cook for around five minutes.
- Add the vermicelli and toss well. Add around four cups of water, add the chicken stock cube. Allow the mixture to come to a boil.
- Adjust seasoning and add the oats. Cook till the vegetables and chicken is all cooked, and the vermicelli is done.
- Add the greens of the spring onion and switch off. Add crushed pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice, if you like. Serve hot.
Use ¼ cup vermicelli, if you do not want too much of it in your soup.
You can replace the vermicelli with orzo pasta too.
You can add 2 tbsp soya sauce and a tbsp of chilli sauce for an extra zing.