Today, I am sharing with you a chicken recipe, which I am sure many of us have our own style of making. Chilli Chicken is one Indo-Chinese dish that everybody would lick clean. Normally, you see the chicken being cooked directly into the sauce or cooked alone first and then mixed into the sauces. During a casual talk on food, my colleague shared with me the way his wife made her chilli chicken and what intrigued me was that she used a part of the manchurian technique of cooking chicken with a cornflour coating before adding it to the sauces. I tried it, and I must say that it tasted delicious. You would have the sauce, the coating and then finally the chicken for your teeth and taste buds to sink in. It was absolutely loved by all in the family and I did tell my colleague, that this would definitely be up on by blog and here it is today!!!
- 1 kg chicken cut into small pcs
- 4 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp pepper powder
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 3 large onions sliced
- 1 large capsicum diced
- 3 tbsp soya sauce
- 2 tbsp chilli sauce
- 1 small pkt 70 gm tomato paste
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 1 tbsp pepper powder
- 3/4 cup water
- Salt to taste
- Chopped spring onion for garnish
- De-skin the chicken, cut into small pieces and clean well. Pat dry.
- Mix the cornflour and pepper with very little water into a thick paste. Coat all over the chicken and leave aside for around 15 minutes.
- Heat a saucepan and add in the oil. Once the oil becomes hot, add in the chicken pieces and saute on high heat till the chicken turns whitish.
- Drain out from the saucepan and set aside. The chicken will cook completely in the sauces later.
- Now add the ginger and garlic paste into the oil and saute till the raw smell goes.
- Add in the onions and capsicum and cook on medium flame till the onions wilt, but still has the crunchiness.
- Add in the sauces, tomato paste, chicken stock cubes and pepper powder and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Now add the chicken along with the water, adjust salt. Cover and cook till the chicken is completely cooked.
- Serve warm garnished with spring onions.